Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Glance Back: Pain Scale

On January 1, 2007, I was in the bed with two pillows under my left ankle. My ankle throbbed. I will try to put into words the pain level. First, a little history of my pain threshold. When I was younger my dad would ask me give me "pain scale". Zero would be no pain and ten would be extreme pain. I remember my dad would talk to me about the pain scale when I was in the process of getting a shot, for example. By the time the shot was done, I was able to recover faster. I guess focusing on something else like a number was better than what was actually happening. This was introduced to me after I struggled with my doctor's appointment as a young innocent child. The struggle: I had to have my finger pricked. I don't know why. I just knew I wasn't going to open my hand for anything. Three nurses had to pry my hand open. My mom was sad. I didn't get a Snoopy band aid but a plain, very plain band aid. My mom tried to explain to me it would be easier if I would relax. I remember my dad taking me to future doctor appointments that pain was going to involved. As I became older, I learned to replace pain with something else. For example, in the sixth grade I had an accident. I was at a birthday party and we decided to form a line by holding hands and skating in a big circle. I was the last person. I had no idea I would be going so fast. I let go and the hand I was holding and fell soon after on my wrist. I was taken to the day hospital and an x-ray was taken. I said I was okay. My mom picked me up a few days after the injury and said the doctor looked at the x-ray again and my wrist was fractured. I had to have some type of retention for six to eight weeks for healing to occur. I do know now everything did happen for a reason. I had to experience my pain threshold as a child and was taught how to deal with the emotions of pain. The moment I broke my ankle, I knew I would have to deal with pain. I never imagined this pain would take my breath away or cause me not to be able to speak. I never knew the pain would be the only thing my mind would think about. I never realized my heart beat could be in my ankle at all times. This was a challenge I couldn't handle on my own. This was pain I had to give to God and ask for help. The pain wasn't taken away but lessened because I was given a path through the pain. I was taught more than I can begin to write about. The answer for me after I tried on my own to handle was God. My pain scale was a 12. Also, I do know the people who helped through this experience are folded within my heart.

No comments: