Sunday, April 19, 2009

A Glance Back: Cooper's Birthday

The night before Cooper was born was pretty eventful. I watched the marathon movie series: Father of the Bride I and II. In the second movie I laughed at Steve Martin trying to be in two places at once. His daughter and wife were both in labor at the exact same times.

During this movie, Chris Straits called and said he was taking Mary to the hospital because they thought she was in labor. I was too excited! I was still wheelchair bound and leg had to stay elevated, but I felt restless. I started packing my overnight bag for the hospital. I had a scheduled induction almost 1 1/2 weeks away, I realized later I was going through the "nesting stage". I remember not being able to sleep that night. I was too excited about Mary and Chris and hoping and praying everything was going okay.

I fell asleep and was awaken with Chris Straits calling to say Noah was here and Mary didn’t have to push very long. I remember hearing Noah in the background. I don’t know what else Chris Straits said because I was half asleep. I remember falling back asleep and dreaming of Mary and her baby. I woke up thinking of this and also wondering why I was wetting the bed.

It was still dark outside and I was so tired. I remember getting up as fast I could and sitting on the portable toilet beside the bed. I remember thinking: I have been “bladder restricted “. In other words, I have had to hold my bladder for long periods of time for help to the bathroom or just getting to the bathroom myself. I was able to hold my bladder all those times. Was I developing an “overactive bladder”? Why wasn’t I able to hold my bladder? I really tried to stop my bladder. I realized I wasn’t going to bathroom because of my bladder. I told Chris I think something is wrong. I told him I couldn’t stop my bladder.

He said: “What, Why? Call Mary and see if that’s what happened to her.” I called Mary’s cell phone and Chris answered. I asked him if Mary had experienced the same “uncontrollable bladder” all the sudden. He said a little and I should probably call the doctor. I put a call in the doctor and just sat on the portable toilet. I started having some minor cramping/pressure toward the very bottom of my stomach.

The doctor called and told her everything I had been experiencing. She then said I was having contractions. She then asked how far apart my contractions were. I said it was every couple of minutes. She said to start heading to the hospital. I told Chris this and he was already in the shower. I remember hearing the shower water on and Chris saying he wouldn’t be long. I had a random thought.

I remember when Daddy was making coffee and showering when mom went into labor with Danny. I also know she “barely” made it to the hospital before Danny was born. Danny was the fifth child. So, I can understand this was something Daddy was pro in the area of “labor”. This was our first child and Chris was for sure taking too long, especially when he started the coffee pot. I remember saying,” Chris we need to go.” I guess my tone caused Chris to panic a little and start asking me questions. “What? Why? Are you okay?” Despite the questions he picked up the pace.

We arrived at the hospital pretty early in the morning on Super Bowl Sunday. I remember arriving into our room and hearing this screaming that sounded like one in a horror movie. The lady I was told was experiencing "natural childbirth". I was told I would have to experience the same because of the blood thinner shots.

But wait!! With all the excitement of Chris Staits calling the night before we simply forgot all about shot. The only time since we were told to start the shots. I remember thanking God for this moment: I didn't have to have "natural childbirth".

Side Note: I remember searching the internet months prior on childbirth and the way to go was "naturally" (absolutely no pain relieve). My opinion is any woman who brings life or lives into this world is a "super hero". My focus is not how a women decide to experience childbirth, but that she can bring new life into this world. This new life is a miracle each and every time.

I remember calling Daddy and he was driving to the hospital to see Mary, Chris and Baby Noah. He didn’t believe I was actually at the hospital in labor. It took me three times as long to convince him I wasn’t joking than to tell him I was in labor.

This was the picture when Cooper first entered this world on Sunday, February 4, 2007 at 6:39 p.m.

No comments: