Sunday, February 07, 2010

"I'm too shy"

Today I told Cooper we would be able to go to church, since we were feeling better. Cooper said, "mommy, I just stay here and play". I said, "Cooper, you will be able to play at church with toys and your friends". Cooper said,"I'm too shy". Chris and I looked at each other like what do we say. My first reaction was to try and change Cooper's "shy" feeling into a happy healthy feeling. This is what Cooper's face looked when I dropped him off at church.


Chris was parking the car when I dropped Cooper off in the 2 and 3 year old class. I walked away thinking of Cooper's "I'm too shy" phrase going through my mind. I did the big no-no: I walked back. My heart dropped. There was Cooper in the same spot picking at his fingers and looking too shy and sad. I thought should I go rescue him? I wanted to but I knew that wasn't best. I went back and met Chris in time to walk in and sit down. The sermon was great and I was able to worship without worrying about Cooper. I knew that Cooper was safe and hopefully happy.

After church service, I stopped and picked Cooper up a doughnut. Chris walked ahead to get Cooper. Chris said Cooper looked happy but was picking up toys by himself. We asked Cooper if he had fun and he said "yes". I still feel a little bit sad about Cooper's experience today. I mean he told me how he was feeling and I actually witnessed his feeling in action. I'm thinking about talking with the teaches maybe next Sunday before dropping Cooper off. I don't know. This is Cooper's face of yes I'm happy and saying cheese for the camera.


Can't help but just want to protect Cooper in every way possible, even from his own feelings.

1 comment:

MMS said...

I think you did the right thing, and I can just imagine how badly you wanted to go in and hug him! I can see him standing there like that, poor thing--makes me want to hug him! I also think it's good for them to experience negative/uncomfortable emotions and see that they can be OK. Give him a big hug from us.